General Hospital Lagos is situated in Lagos Island Area, a few metres from the Lagoon shore – between the beginning of Broad Street and Marina in high brow business/commercial heartland of Lagos.
It is the foremost of its kind in the country. It was established as a military hospital to take care of members of the British Armed forces that were ill during the colonial days. At its establishment in 1893, it was the first General Hospital in Nigeria. Its initial core staff were from the countries of the British Commonwealth.
On the 1st of October, 1960 the hospital was handed over to the Federal Government and upon the creation of Lagos State on the 27th May 1967, the Hospital was taken over by the Lagos State Government. For over a century, it has rendered qualitative services to millions of patients, irrespective of race, creed, colour, social status, religion etc.