This Department is as old as the Hospital. It served as a training center for Pathologists,
Technologists, Technicians and Assistants. Dr. E. T. Smith became prominent in the 1930′s
for the training of Medical Students.
During the Colonials days, there was a small Mortuary at Macgregor Island mainly for
Forensic Pathology. Abandoned babies and accident cases were mainly handled there.
Another mortuary was near the Engineering Department. The Mortuary now in use was
built during the administration of Governor Lawal.
The Blood Bank started at Massey Street Children Hospital for maternal cases. Mr. Park and
Mr. Idogwu were Technologists and they both worked at the Blood Bank. When the
maternity section was moved from Massey to the present Lagos Island Maternity Hospital,
the Blood Bank was moved to Broad Street.
The efforts and the hard work of the following pathologists are worthy of note, they are Dr.
Don Santos, Dr. Uku, Dr. Laja, Dr. Ahimie, Dr. Idahosa, Dr. Braimo, Dr. Boyo-Ekwueme and
Some Laboratory Technologists who also contributed their quota to the services rendered
here are Mr. Ayuba, Mr.ldundun, late Mr. Adeyombo, Mr. Aro, Mr.lneh to mention a few.
Also the effort of the popular Mortuary Attendant in the 1960′s cannot go unnoticed
“Sunday Gbokugboku”. May his soul rest in peace.